Fulfilling Your Pattern Needs
Note 2/6/11: I’ve created a new version of this design with improved construction and more sizes (this version runs small). Find the improved monster booties pattern here.
The crochet version of these booties were such a hit that I wrote a pattern for knitting. These booties will fit 0-3 months on a small baby. They are pretty small, so you might want to use larger needles than I did.
- Worsted weight yarn for the sole. Caron Simply Soft in Bone.
- Fuzzy yarn for the monster foot. Moda-Dea Dream in Leaf.
- Size 5 dpn
- Tapestry needle
- With worsted yarn, longtail cast on 8.
- Row 1 – 16: stockinette stitch
- Row 17: k2tog k4 k2tog
- Row 18: purl
- Row 19: k2tog k2 k2tog
- Row 20: Cast off purlwise
- Weave in ends
- Switching to the fuzzy yarn, pick up and knit around the boarder of the sole. Start with the back and spread the stitches across 4 dpns – 6 stitches across the back (flat side), 9 stitches on each side, and 6 across the toe.
- Rows 1 – 8: Knit
- Row 9: k14 k2tog k4 k2tog k8
- Row 10: k14 k2tog k2 k2tog k8
- Row 11: k14 k2tog k2tog k8
- Row 12: k13 k2tog k2tog k7
- Rows 13-18: 1k1p ribbing
- K1-P1 bind off and weave in ends
I made the claws by tying French Knots with doubled up yarn. I wouldn’t use beads or buttons, although they would be cute, due to the choking hazard.Knit Monster Baby Booties,
Having troubles? Check out the FAQs.